Spring Is HERE – Time To Start “Tidying Up” Your Content Marketing Plan
Spring has finally sprung and after a winter in which we saw Marie Kondo’s “tidying up” tips take off like wildfire, I was inspired. Tidying up, spring cleaning, whatever you want to call it, there’s no reason not to use the freshness of the season to inspire a renewed look at your content marketing plan!
5 Ways To Spruce Up Your Content Marketing Plan
- Q1 Recap. If your business runs on a calendar year schedule then the start of spring happens to coincide with the end of Q1. That makes spring the perfect time to take stock of your 2019 content marketing plan, but what if the start of the year got away from you and you didn’t sit down to plan out a year’s worth of content marketing? No problem! Get to it now. After all, you’re only 3 months in to the new year; there’s plenty of time to start producing content! Need help getting started? Head on over to our 2019 Content Marketing Playbook!
- Look Ahead to Q2. If Q1 didn’t go according to plan, don’t let that frustrate you or even worse, prevent you from getting on with your content marketing plans! Take another look at the goals you wanted to accomplish and ask yourself why they didn’t happen. Then decided if they are still worth pursuing in Q2 (or Q3 or Q4 or next year) or if you’re going to focus on something different. It’s okay to tweak your content plan throughout the year. Things change. In fact, if you can tie your content into current events or a big change that affects your brand, do it! These kinds of changes ensure your content is even more relevant and timely! Don’t let surprises throw you for a loop, capitalize on them! Likewise, there may be ideas that you thought you’d be able to do that now don’t seem like such a good idea. That’s fine too; toss them out and replace them with content that is better suited to the time.
- Break it Down. I completely understand how overwhelming it can be to look at years’ worth of content marketing and get overwhelmed. If this happens to you, break it down into quarters or months or seasons…whatever kind of schedule your business follows. You’ll feel more comfortable with a content calendar that mirrors a calendar or schedule you already know. This approach can make it easier to think of relevant and useful content too because you’re already thinking about what’s coming up in the next few months.
- Create Action Goals. Actionable goals have a higher chance of getting accomplished than nebulous goals and ideas. Instead of “write more blogs” change your goal to “post 2 blogs a month” or “post on social media 5 times a week”. These kind of actions give you a firm goal and it’s one that you can track progress towards; you’re more likely to try and meet that goal if you see you’re only 1 blog post away!
- Use Your Business Plan. Still stuck for ideas? Dig out your business plan. Take the broad ideas and goals from your business plan and develop a list of content marketing activities that help support those business goals. Chances are you already know what you need to do, you just need to go that extra step to say how you’re going to do it.
Ask For Help When You Need It
When all else fails, ask Orlando Content Marketing for help! We are here to help you build your content marketing plan by offering strategy ideas as well as creating actual content that you can share with your audience. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you make 2019 your best content year ever!