Planning Makes Perfect: A True Story Of How A Strategic Marketing Plan Turned A Business’ Internet Presence Around
We talk a lot about content strategy here at Orlando Content Marketing and there’s a good reason for it. It works! Like a strategic plan or a budget, a content marketing plan helps provide direction and measurable results for business leaders and stakeholders. A solid plan can help you identify the steps necessary to achieve success and give you an idea of what success looks like.
With that thought in mind, I want to share a real-life success story with you that demonstrates just how well a strategic marketing plan can work.
A client in the lawn care industry came to us with a dated website. The site lacked strategy, design, and marketing for effective lead generation and was not mobile friendly. The content was not optimized for search engines and there was no area for authority content. Even worse, they didn’t have any strategy or method to market promotions to current customers or prospects.
If you take a step back and consider this, you’ll agree with me that goals without plans are meaningless. Even animals with the tiniest brains follow a plan: Honey bees collect pollen and nectar as food for their entire colony. Nectar stored within their stomachs is passed from one worker to the next until the water within it diminishes. It’s a perfect plan, and nobody goes hungry.
Needless to say, our client, without a plan, was suffering against their competitors’ better-designed, more effective websites. They turned to us for help.
The broad goal was simply to improve the company’s online presence, but that wasn’t detailed enough. Together with the client, we dug down and identified the more specific goal of:
Using inbound and outbound marketing methods that capitalized on the latest technology to attract, identify, convert and create repeat business for the company with a strong emphasis on boosting the company’s mobile presence.
The Marketing Plan
This site needed serious help. There was very little that we could tweak to improve results. We had to start almost from scratch. The plan was to create a full marketing campaign that consisted of these marketing channels:
- Website Redesign: Build an optimized, sales driven, converting, and mobile-friendly website.
- Google Review Campaign: Create a targeted 5-drip email campaign.
- PPC: Implement A Pay-Per-Click campaign to improve conversions.
- Social Media Marketing: Set up a brand new: Facebook Business Page, Twitter Page, Google Plus Page, and a Yelp Page. Share every promotion and piece of content created across all platforms as another channel to generate leads, convert prospects and drive sales.
- Email & Landing Page Campaigns: Launch 4 different 3-day drip email campaigns with customer and prospect converting promotions. Create custom landing pages for corresponding email campaigns.
- Content Marketing & Remarketing. Design and build a blog platform with fresh, relevant content that was engaging and keyword optimized to make it valuable to both the end user and to search engine indexing and ranking.
The strategic marketing plan showed the business owner all of the areas of opportunity in each campaign. We included information on what the business’ competitors were doing in order to include campaigns that resonated with the client’s target audience and explained how each campaign was expected to support the overall goal.
Once approved, we rolled out the phases with very high levels of success:
- The Google Review Campaign increased the company’s listed reviews from 2 to 37 with a 4.8 Star Rating.
- The new PPC Campaign generated 597 clicks at $2.27 per click, with 69 conversions at $19.66 per conversion. That resulted in 27 phone calls and 15 sales.
- The Email and Landing Page Campaign resulted in a total of 296 form submissions across the 4 campaigns.
Soon, the company was getting so many calls and service appointment requests they couldn’t hire fast enough to keep up with the demand! All because of the new marketing efforts that had been implemented!
If your marketing efforts aren’t bringing in the results you’d like, it’s time to take a look at what you’re doing and what you can be doing better. Contact the team at Orlando Content Marketing to arrange a free consultation today and take the first step in improving your Internet marketing efforts!
Photo credit: Aaron Burden