Looking For a Proven Marketing Technique? Give Content Marketing A Second Look
Wouldn’t it be nice if, as a marketer, you had a go-to “guaranteed” to yield results, a proven marketing technique that you could rely on? Well, you do! Content marketing.
Briefly, content marketing is a marketing strategy that involves creating online content that doesn’t necessarily sell a product or service, but instead, highlights a company’s expertise or experience in the industry or field. It’s a way to build your brand and spread awareness about your company without putting pressure on consumers to make a purchase.
In this post, I want to focus on why content marketing may be the one marketing technique you can always count on but you can learn more about content marketing in general in our blog post entitled, “How Can Content Marketing Grow My Business?”
5 Reasons Why Content Marketing Should Be Your Go-To Marketing Strategy
- It’s Versatile. Content marketing is the one modern marketing technique that spans industries, platforms, and audiences to deliver your message. It can (and should!) be customized to your audience’s preferred method of receiving information. That could be in the form of an email, a social media post, a blog posting on your website, a video, a podcast, infographics, etc.
- It Builds Long-Term Customer Relationships. Content marketing isn’t about making a sale or closing the deal. It’s about taking a much more long-range view and building customer loyalty over time. The hope is that by doing so, when the time comes for the customer to make a purchasing decision, your business will be the first that comes to mind.
- It Supplements Other Marketing Efforts. Since content marketing is not about making a sale, it is the perfect supplement to your other marketing efforts. Instead of competing with your website, for instance, the content you’ve created may actually encourage viewers to take a deeper look at your website, products, and services. In fact, it’s usually a smart (and totally acceptable!) idea to include links to your products, services, or sales pages from your content piece!
- It’s Simple. Content marketing may end up being one of the simplest forms of marketing you’ve ever tried. There’s no “angle” to sell and no sales gimmick to create. Instead, you’re just sharing information with your customers. You’re starting a conversation. You’re letting them get to know you and, in some cases, you get to know your customers better too. The end goal is to become well-established in their minds as a reliable source of information and, consequently, products and services.
- You’re Probably Already Doing It. Directly supporting our claim that content marketing is simple means you’re probably already doing it and don’t realize it! If you are posting blogs about industry news; if you are communicating back and forth with your customers on Facebook or Twitter; if you are posting business-related videos on YouTube, you’re already putting out some content! ANYTHING that you create and put out there on the web for your audience to consume, is considered content. Now, this can be good or bad, depending on what you’ve been posting, but hopefully, it’s been high-quality, professional content that boosts your image.
Quality And Consistency Are Key
Not all content is created equal and publishing content simply for the sake of publishing something isn’t a strategy that you can rely on. No, content marketing does require a thoughtful approach. At the very least, content should:
- Be relevant to your audience as well as your products, services, or industry,
- Be something that your audience will want to share with others,
- Be of high quality. That means, truthful and accurate, not overly salesy, and well-written or designed, and
- Be consistently released or updated. The idea is to keep your audience coming back for more so you maintain a presence in their mind.
If you do all of these things, over time you’ll grow a loyal following, who will share their great experiences with you, with others, and expand your reach even more.
There are many ways to use content marketing to grow your business and you may need to do some trial and error to find which platform and formats resonate best with your audience, but when you find the right formula, you’ll know it and the payoff is immense.
If there’s anything we’ve learned after years of working with various clients, it’s that there is no magic bullet when it comes to marketing, and seeking out a “viral” solution is usually a mistake. The steady, methodical approach of content marketing, however, builds the trust and generates the leads you are looking for.