How Involved Do I Need To Be With My Content Marketing Agency?
One of the most common questions a content marketing agency will hear from new clients is, “How involved do I need to be with your team?” Some businesses like to be intimately involved in every bit of the process; others would prefer to hand the entire thing off to the agency and forget about it.
Neither approach is ideal. You don’t want to micromanage the agency, but you also don’t want them to be operating in a vacuum with no input or guidance from your internal team.
The best solution is one where the content marketing agency and the client meet regularly to discuss project needs and to ensure the marketing efforts accurately reflect your brand and goals.
Building A Partnership
Content marketing is a fluid, on-going process. It is not a “set it and forget it” type of situation. That means there needs to be regular, clear communication between the client and the agency.
The CLIENT will want to communicate:
- Overall objectives and scope of the project. What are you hoping to achieve? What is your end goal?
- Areas of concern or areas where the brand is lagging. Has your brand undergone a change? Do you have a new website? Are you expanding into social or video marketing? Are you having trouble with conversions?
- What kind of in-house expertise is available? How internal staff will work with the content marketing agency. Clients should identify a staff member to serve as the agency’s main point of contact. This helps minimize confusion and eliminates any “he said, she said” incidents.
- The business. It’s the client’s job to make sure the agency understands what the business does and who their customers are. Who is the end audience for the content that is to be created?
The AGENCY should communicate:
- The purpose and value of each deliverable. What are you recommending as a course of action and why? How will it help accomplish business objectives?
- Realistic timeline expectations. What kind of deliverables can be completed and when?
- Testing results. What is currently working best for the client? What isn’t? How can it be improved? Should the client be doing something they aren’t? If so, what?
- Guidance. If and when they need direction, feedback, or support from the client and/or the client’s team.
You want to approach your work with a content marketing agency as a partnership aimed at building your business and helping achieve brand goals. That requires a lot of back and forth, open and honest communication, taking a good, hard look at existing and new content, and a willingness to take a step back and re-think anything that isn’t working.
Pair Up With The Right Content Marketing Agency To Achieve Business Goals
How much time you can devote to working with your content marketing agency depends on your individual situation and the time available to you. If you can’t spend a lot of time working with the agency, that’s okay, just be aware of that as you interview different agencies and be upfront about your needs.
Being open and honest about your availability and expectations from the start is the best way to ensure you pair up with not just a great content marketing agency, but the right agency to meet your specific needs.
There may be some trial and error and hiccups as you get to know one another and as projects gain steam, but in the end, the time and effort will be well worth it because the content you create will be a perfect blend of your business insights and the agency’s content and audience insights.
In the end, that’s the goal: building a partnership that makes your business shine.
We want to help you shine, and we have the team and the tools to do it! Call us today at 407-461-4368 for a free consultation. We’ll look at your current marketing set-up and offer some suggestions.